Friday, December 01, 2006

QTAAWSDOFs

It's about time for another set of Questions that Are Asked with Some Degree of Frequency...

Wha-huhn?
OK, see, what I do is I take pictures from old kids’ annuals, then add alternative captions for humourous effect. Clever, isn’t it? I bet no-one’s ever done anything like that before ever. Ever.

How delightfully whimsical. Can I play?
Sure – that’s what comments are for. Your suggestions for alternative captions are always appreciated. If I see one I particularly like, I’ll post it as a proper entry.

So you mean we end up doing your job for you?
Quiet, you.

Whatever. How often do you post new comics?
At the moment, every Tuesday and Thursday, plus miscellaneous announcements and ravings as they become relevant.

Bwaah! I am considerably too lazy to check your site every day to see if there’s something new! What can I do?
If you have an RSS reader or a Bloglines account, you can point it at either of the feeds listed under SITE FEEDS over on the right there. No, your other right. If you’re on LiveJournal, you can add the site syndication to your Friends list. Happy now?

Ecstatic. So, you get these pictures from old kids’ annuals. Which ones?
Currently, I’ve used:

The Book for Girls
The Brownies Annual 1958
Champion Book for Girls
Chatterbox 1932
Chick's Own Annual 1954
Girls' Crystal Annual 1952
Happy Story Book
Ideal Book for Girls 1934
Modern Book for Girls 1960
Monster Book for Girls 1947
The Oxford Annual for Girls 1933
The Oxford Annual for Girls 1939
Popular Book for Girls
The Prize 1958

Note that the works of Enid Blyton do not feature among them.

You’re a 30-year-old man. Why do you have so many girls’ annuals?
My girlfriend collects them – she wants to decorate a room with the colour plates one day.

I possess quantities of your human “money”. Is there some way I could part with it in exchange for themed merchandise?
Yep – go to CafePress. There are two shops worth of designs (I’m a cheap bastard, so I only use a free account, which means I can only have one design per type of product). If there’s a particular image you want on a particular item, send me an email and I should be able to sort you out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cartoons and captions! You should check out New Yorker Magazine. Every issue has a captionless cartoon on the last page. Readers are invited to send in captions. I think that you wins something if your caption is picked. This is right up your alley! I have a blog about monkeys. With your permission, I am going to link to your site. Keep up the great work!